BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #spaceranger-3 | 2024-05-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Seizure Warning

This game may potentially trigger seizures for people with photosensitive epilepsy. Viewer discretion is advised.

Controls

• Move: Arrow Keys
  • Shoot: X
  • Bomb: Z
  • Pause: Enter

NOTE: Shoot / Bomb buttons can be swapped in the Pause menu

Instructions

• Destroy 30 waves of space pirates and recover the space doubloons they leave behind.
    The more doubloons you collect, the higher your score. The ring around your ship indicates the range of your tractor beam which attracts doubloons.
  • Destroying space pirates will increase your score multiplier. Letting a space pirate escape the area or taking damage will reset this multiplier to zero.
  • Defeating an entire wave of space pirates will increase your level multiplier which will also increase your score.
  • Once you take 3 hits your ship will be destroyed.

Powerups

Every 5th wave, a random powerup will appear. Collecting powerups will upgrade your ship. Powerups can only be upgraded 3 times. The type of powerup will be indicated by the letter displayed:

• Power (P): Increases the damage of your ship's weapons. Ideal for taking down enemies quickly.
  • Option (O): Options will orbit around your ship, firing additional shots, increasing your shot width. They will also damage enemies on impact allowing for both offensive and defensive play.
  • Magnet (M): Increases your pickup range, allowing you to collect doubloons easier. It will also increase the range of any Options that orbit your ship.
  • Bomb (B): Bombs will clear all enemies and their projectiles on the screen. You start with 3 bombs, though additional bombs can be picked up after fully upgrading the Power, Option, or Magnet powerups.

Tips

• The closer you are to the top of the screen, the faster you shoot. Use this to your advantage to defeat enemies quickly.
  • Bombs can be particularly useful during the final level of the game when things are most intense.
  • Defeating enemies quickly will shorten the total play time. See how fast you can beat the game and post your fastest play time in the comments!

Alternate Color Palettes

Choose from 10 different color palettes in the Pause menu, including palettes submitted by content creators who have supported the game during its development. Check them out!

Credits

Design, programming, art, sfx, and music done by me (Dumenglume).

Changelog

v1.2

• Added option to disable screen shake
  • Added option to swap Shoot / Bomb buttons (NOTE: Shoot / Bomb default buttons were swapped to be more consistent with other games in the genre)
  • Added option to reset high score (ignores left/right buttons but use carefully nonetheless)
  • Added version number to title screen
  • Added functionality to theme menu -- it now changes color palette in real time to make previewing them easier
  • Added bomb functionality -- bombs now destroy all enemy projectiles on screen and not just enemies themselves (should make bombs more useful overall, especially during boss fight when overwhelmed with shots)
  • Changed starting enemies so they will now shoot more than once
  • Changed explosions size slightly to improve readability
  • Changed doubloon spawn count when enemies are destroyed to improve readability -- They will always spawn one doubloon, but doubloons are worth more now so high scores can still be achieved
  • Changed size of powerups so they are larger/easier to collect
  • Changed boss health, shot cooldowns, speed, to balance difficulty
  • Changed boss phases so they are clearer to the player -- will now explode doubloons between phases, not just on death
  • Changed menu functionality so all options have similar controls -- X / O no longer close the menu, use Esc or Continue instead
  • Fixed bug where player couldn't collect powerups near bottom of screen
  • Fixed bug where boss could receive damage during its entrance
  • Fixed bug where boss wouldn't move, now it should move from side to side
  • Fixed bug where player could die during boss' death animation
  • Fixed bug where both victory and loss themes would play when dying at boss
  • Fixed bug where doubloons wouldn't award points properly

v1.1

• Added music to the game
  • Added alternate color palettes
  • Added "play time" stat that appears at the end of a run for lite speed running
  • Changed boss functionality to be more challenging
  • Changed enemy behavior to allow more variety
  • Changed visuals to improve readability (all player shots are blue, all enemy shots are orange instead of mixing the two)
  • Changed powerup names to be more consistent with "shmup" standards
  • Fixed a bug where enemies that spawned later in the game only had 1HP, making the game easier than intended

Thanks to everyone who checked out the game! Let me know your thoughts on the latest update, or what you'd like to see in the future for Space Ranger!

P#147898 2024-05-04 10:07 ( Edited 2024-05-17 09:10)

Hey guys. I was wondering if I could get help to get a game over screen when the enemy collides with the player.
If anyone wants to help comment on your ways to help.

Thank you.

P#147884 2024-05-04 03:37
a = {x=10, y=25}

b = a

b.x = 99

print(a.x)

This prints 99 but I assumed it would print 10.
I wrote code with a start table. Then I set a position table equal to the start table. I was hoping to update the position table but reset the position back to the start point at any time I wanted. I tested this out in php to make sure I wasn't crazy and it worked like I expected. I tried it out in strict Lua but it gave the result above. Why does Lua change the a table when I only changed the b? How do I deal with this?

P#147872 2024-05-03 23:49

Cart #penny_the_pumpkin-35 | 2024-05-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Description

Penny the Pumpkin: Directors Cut takes you on a delightful platforming open-world metroidvania with light puzzles to solve. Guide Penny, our lovable pumpkin, as she collects 18 precious coins! Your progress is saved every time she grabs a coin or enters a new area.

Once you've collected all 18 coins, put your skills to the test by unlocking the thrilling speedrun mode! Note that saving is disabled in this mode, so it's all about your skill and reflexes. Can you beat the programmer's current record of 3:31.4? 🏆

Features

What's new in the Director's Cut?

More like what's stayed the same? I've gone over every graphic, every level, every line of code to bring you the definitive Penny the Pumpkin experience! But here's a summary of just some of the things that have been added since the original came out:

• Six new coins, bringing to total to collect to 18
  • Four new areas
  • Three areas completely reworked from the ground up
  • The mostly unchanged four areas given a good deal of love to!
  • A new (secret) mechanic you'll have to discover to collect all the coins
  • More connections between areas, making the world more interconnected than ever
  • Improved performance allowing for even more impressive particle effects
  • Music with instrumentation changing in different areas
  • Improved rendering on Penny so her outline is always perfectly crisp
  • Rewritten soft-body physics to better handle edge cases and to control better
  • Improved jumping physics when bouncing on enemies
  • Manually controlled camera in many areas to give the players the exact experience I want
  • Improved visuals throughout, with more animations, more decorations, more details, and more love
  • Fixed various exploits (or, let's call them "tricks") which made speedrunning too predictable

Existing Features

• Adorable physics based soft-body animations
  • Large interconnected open world
  • Seasonal skins when playing at Halloween
  • Speedrun mode after completing the game

Credits

Shoutouts

• Josiah Winslow, and everyone else who submitted speedrun times for the original Penny the Pumpkin
  • morganq_ for playtesting and helping with some gfx and sfx ideas
  • @ohhcurtains, Sugarvoid, @Thelxinoe5 and many many others for giving really useful playtesting feedback

Speedrun Leaderboard

# Runner Time
🥇 @Thelxinoe5 2:32.2 (video)
🥈 @kaimonkey 3:31.4
🥉 Frimkron 8:00.1
P#147827 2024-05-03 09:54 ( Edited 2024-05-11 10:52)

Cart #jurotebusu-0 | 2024-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

first release of goblin wizard: curse of travis
(arrow keys + z to attack)

P#147817 2024-05-03 07:23 ( Edited 2024-05-03 07:24)

Cart #redapipay-0 | 2024-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#147812 2024-05-03 06:36 ( Edited 2024-05-03 06:38)

Cart #flowerclicker-2 | 2024-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A simple clicker game about growing flowers. Also my first complete Pico-8 game :)

Controls
Left-click - Almost everything
Right-click - Drop tool / Cancel flower placement

Made in about a week for Minigame a Month - April 2024 and Chill Devs: Chill Jam 8.

Also available on itch.io.

P#147811 2024-05-03 06:21 ( Edited 2024-05-03 08:41)

Cart #exitdidierbyte-1 | 2024-05-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little game where you have to find the EXIT.

Orange arrows -> The EXIT is on the UP, LEFT, RIGHT, BOTTOM
0 - 9 digit -> The EXIT is at "x" case (manathan distance)
Red arrows -> The EXIT is not on this row / column

Enjoy !

P#147794 2024-05-02 21:58 ( Edited 2024-05-03 08:20)

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=47637#p

I can find all the other secrets but not the last newspaper

Can someone at least give me a hint?

P#147788 2024-05-02 18:22 ( Edited 2024-05-02 18:23)

Cart #budewukadi-0 | 2024-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made by my son and me in about a week during that time I also taught him Lua.
My son is responsible on the level design that will make you suffer. (Suffer because you might reach a level in which the portal will actually kill you instead of teleport you and you will have to find another exit)
I consider the game very challanging.
There are 21 levels in this game. I was able to reach level 3 but my son has reached the end of the game countless times.

Special thanks to @matthughson for "advanced micro platformer" which we used.
Thanks Nerdy teachers for excellent tutorials.
And finally thanks Lazy devs for great tutorials.

P#147723 2024-05-01 16:31

I'm trying to figure out the alternate colors a bit so I can use them in a game. I'm not trying to get all 32 colors available at once. I'm happy with having 16 but just want to adjust which 16 I have. From what I've read, it seems like this is possible.

I put the display pal() swaps at the top of the cart which does switch out colors. And it works when drawing and with sprites. Cool.

pal(3,129,1) -- blue129
pal(5,140,1) -- blue140
pal(6,135,1) -- yellow135
pal(11,137,1) -- orange137
pal(12,132,1) -- brown132
pal(14,128,1) -- brown128

So I have a sprite that is drawn with original blue12 and then on the screen it displays as brown132 because of the swap. I get that and it's working.

But I want to be able to display that same sprite again in a different color.
How do you do a swap on a swap?

-- this sprite is draw in blue12 and displays as brown132 = expected
spr(1,12,96)

-- how do i make the same sprite display as orange137
-- pal(12,137) -- this doesn't work, it swaps both
-- pal(132,137) -- this doesn't work, both still brown

spr(1,62,96)

I'm still looking for the flexibility of easy pal() swaps even after I've swapped for colors in the alt palette. Maybe it's not possible in the way I'm wanting. It's certainly not the end of the world if it won't work like I think. I've found a ton of posts on the alt colors but none of them seem to address swapping within a swap.

P#147717 2024-05-01 14:54 ( Edited 2024-05-01 14:55)

Cart #ditomareyo-0 | 2024-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

made this for a potential thing at furconz camp 2024, which is spies and secret agent themed

heavily modified from the demos/dots3d.p8 cart by zep

P#147707 2024-05-01 08:44

Cart #gb_vines-1 | 2024-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

v1: fixed glitchy Jake (the snail) position issue

P#147692 2024-05-01 02:15 ( Edited 2024-05-01 02:32)

Cart #veggie_combo-4 | 2024-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This game was made for the Minigame A Month April 2024 for theme Farming!

Gameplay:

Use your tools to manipulate the field, then harvest with as many points as you can.

⬅️⬇️⬆️➡️

❎: X

🅾️: C or Y/Z

When harvesting you move along in a straight line if you have the same veggies in that direction and stop before stepping on a different one.

Harvesting a veggie gives 1 point +1 for each previous same vegetable.

Combo and movement stops on a new vegetable in the direction, or upon turning into a new direction!

Tools

• Shovel: Let's you swap two rows or columns with each other.
  • Pitchfork: moves row/colum left-right-up-down
  • Bomb: Upon stepping on, it harvests all neighbouring tiles (replaces one where you move so it doesn't break cool lines)
  • Watering can: Replaces a 3x3 area with a crop randomly selected from that area (weighted by occourance)

Seeds:

After completing a stage (or on pressing Enter) you can view the seed of the current page. Note that number down and share it with a friend. In the Load Field menu you can enter the seed and race on who can achieve more points on the same map, with the same tools!
Development:

You can read the devlogs and watch the full development VODS if you are intersted in things like that!

Devlog Articles

Full VODS

Brought to you by:

My awesome supporters over at Ko-fi page! They allow me to pursue this niche hobby of mine! If you'd like more, consider hopping over to my Ko-fi page, where I share pixel art, game devlogs, postmortems, code rundowns, all that gamedev jazz! And if you can maybe drop in a coffee so I can make the next one faster!

Thank you Csöndi and Nerdy Teachers for allowing me to keep up this hobby!

P#147672 2024-04-30 19:43 ( Edited 2024-05-03 11:07)

Cart #steelhunter-0 | 2024-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Can you take down the entire fleet?

The enemy has established a naval blockade and you're the only one that can open up supply lines. Use your mini-sub to destroy enemy ships and clear the blockade. Success will depend on a steady hand and perfect timing. But beware! There are also reported sightings of an experimental enemy sub!

• Navigate tricky minefields
  • Tense periscope action!
  • Avoid depth charges raining from above
  • Damn the torpedoes!
  • Top secret submarine boss fight

Classic action

Controls

Arrows / D-Pad = Move submarine
Z / B-button = Action; Shoot forward
X / A-button = Shoot down

Gamepad recommended. Controller mappings will vary.

Credits

• Design + code + art: Brian Vaughn
  • Music: Robby Duguay, Brian Follick
  • Sound: SFXP

Behind the game

By chance I played Sea Chase by Eddy Fries on the Atari 800 and while it's pretty typical Atari fare, there was enough there to get me thinking, "it would be cool if there was more." Plus, it hit one of my favorite themes that I had yet to venture into: Submarines! Battleships! Underwaterness!

The first level of Steel Hunter borrows straight from Sea Chase with a few changes before heading into a periscope shooting gallery which is my favorite part. Honestly, the periscope thing is what drove this whole project. I wanted to make a game that used that mechanic so I wrapped underwater minefield levels around it to complete the story.

This isn't a long game, it's not a particularly challenging game, and it's not technically impressive. It wasn't really intended to be any of those things and I think that's okay. I was just trying to make a fun little game and scratch my annual itch to make a video game. And FWIW, no magic was used in making this game...just straight, unprocessed code on a single cart.

As always, feedback is welcome and appreciated. Thanks to everyone that plays and to all that have supported my games over the years. Please report any bugs or crashes.

P#147656 2024-04-30 18:47

Cart #todehdosu-0 | 2024-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #todehdosu-0 | 2024-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#147635 2024-04-30 12:11 ( Edited 2024-04-30 15:07)

Cart #pleasedontpressx-1 | 2024-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#147619 2024-04-30 02:50 ( Edited 2024-05-01 00:21)

Cart #cc_geneticalgorithm-30 | 2024-05-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

CC GENETIC ALGORITHM

This is a mod of Celeste classic where you get to watch a genetic algorithm learn how to play Celeste classic.

Note that longer runs will show better results. it takes roughly 10 minutes to beat 100m. be prepared to wait awhile for results! Also note that too many players will lag the machine. 10 Works best without slowing it too much. The default is 5.

Wiki page for the Genetic Algorithm

SETTINGS REFERENCE

CELESTE CLASSIC GENETIC ALGORITHM [CCGA]
MOD BY ANTIBRAIN

[SETTINGS REFERENCE]

`FPS` : Simulation FPS. The timer in the corner will not be affected. 
You do not need to set it to a normal number. framerates like 22 and 46 are just fine.

`# OF PLAYERS` : How many players to simulate at once. 
More players means it will learn faster, but too many can lag the machine.

`CYCLE LEN` : How many cycles to run before selecting iteration to reproduce and grow.

`ADDED PER C` : How many FRAMES to add after every cycle SET. [after `cycle>=max_cycle`]

`FALLBACK` : Max # of frames the ai is allowed to go back from preserved solution in the event of faliure.

`DEATH PEN` : Amount of points deducted. Can not go below `COIN REWARD`.

`COIN REWARD` : Amount of points given for collecting a coin. Can not go above `DEATH PEN`.

`BASE MUTATE` : The base mutate chance from 0-100%, without any deaths or changes. The mutate chance for each instance will never go below this number.

`SFX?` : Toggles sound effects that instances can make. (dashing, jumping, etc)

`MUSIC?` : Toggles music.

`SHOW N` : Toggles whether to display each player's instance number on itself. Enable to keep track of players.

`FLIP?` : Toggles whether to call flip() every frame to update the screen. When disabled, each frame will be updated instantly after the last frame. When disabled, It does break menus and cause a LOT of flickering, so use caution.

`▤  PAGE X/Y  ▤` : Current page number. Left/right to view other pages.

Numbers can be changed with L/R. Booleans [TRUE/FALSE] can be changed with any button.

CHANGELOG

CELESTE CLASSIC GENETIC ALGORITHM [CCGA]
MOD BY ANTIBRAIN

[CHANGELOG]

1.0: 
- Initial release

1.1:
- Added - This changelog
- Changed - Balloons now reward the ai for collecting them THE FIRST TIME
    - This is to increase the chances of winning levels like 2800m and 900m, where balloons are the only way of beating them, and there isn't much vertical reward.

1.2:
- Added - Reward coin collectibles that make ai happy when grabbed :D
    - This is to make sure the ai wont just ignore certain VERY IMPORTANT sections of levels. aka ALL OF 200M AAAAAAAAAAAAA

1.3:
- Added - Several menuitem features to change how the AI "Learns", As well as sim speed and such.
    - Functions include: FPS (10-60), Weather springs reward the AI, Weather Walljumping rewards the ai (Based on height walljumped from), Reward granted from collecting a coin, Score penalty for dying, Frames added per generation, % chance to mutate each instruction not kept, and the ability to reset the AI, starting fresh with new params.
- Changed - Coins no longer respawn once collected, as the ai would just die to get them again, and it follows the same path regardless of if the coin is there or not if it was collected at least once. (unless it died and the death pen is more then coin reward)

1.4:
- Removed - Reset AI menuitem
    - Caused too many issues, might add back later once fixed.

1.41:
- Fixed - "Last Improvement" Showed FRAME number instead of GENERATION number

1.5:
- Added - Simple title screen with basic instructions
    - This is to allow changing settings before a simulation has been started.
- Added - SRAND settings
    - Accessible when on title screen, select to enable, l/r to change seed.

1.6:
- Changed - Dying now removes all collectibles.
    - This is to prevent the ai from just dying over and over again to keep getting the reward from grabbing coins or berries.

1.61:
- Removed - Testing things i accidentally left behind (Whoops!)
- Fixed - Typos

2.0 :
- Major release
- Removed - A ton of settings that dont work anymore
- Removed - Some text that doesnt apply anymore
- Added - Multiple players at once
- Added - Fallback system
    - Based on deaths that generation. The more deaths the farther back mutations can be made, up to two seconds if 90% die, and 10 seconds if 100% die. This is to ensure that they dont get softlocked.
- Changed - Its a real genetic algorithm now
- Changed - Reward values
    - Higher death penelty
- Changed - Height Rewards
    - Only counts as grounded if this.spd.y==0
- Changed - Most of the algorithm and code to work with multiple instances.
- Changed - Title Screen
- Changed - Keep system doesnt HAVE to keep "working" solutions if they are terrible

2.1 :
- Fixed bugs
- Changed - Fallback only resets to unmodified best if ALL instances die in a single generation.

2.2 :
- Fixed bugs
- Working towards fitness choosing error
    - For some reason, the program will choose a different instance then the one who was selected to reproduce, to reproduce. I have no idea why that is, as its not supposed to do that. Also sometimes instruction sets get boggled randomly and i dont know why. Patch in progress.

2.3 :
- Fixed bugs
    - Note that this version is not public, due to some issues regarding the fitness function.

3.0 :
- Added - Cycle Based system
- Added - Ability to change `max_cycles`, and `frames_added_per_cycle` in pause menu. [SEE SETTINGS REFERENCE ABOVE]
- After X cycles, Best of X cycles reproduces, Add X frames.
- Changed - Algorithm now reproduces after `cycle>=max_cycle`
- Removed - Old reproduction system
- Fixed - Issue where system would choose wrong iteration to reproduce.
    - I'm not entirely sure what fixed it, but it definitely shows up way less now.
- Changed - Reformatted [CHANGELOG] and [COMMAND REFERENCE] to be in code blocks, because i think it looks nice.

3.1 :
- Changed - Default Population from 5 -> 10
    - 5 Was simply too slow. 10 is low enough where the flickering wasn't too bad, and high enough where it wont take too long to beat scores and learn.
- Updated - Cart label

3.21 :
- Attempt to fix bugs
    - At STILL for SOME REASON just picks the WRONG instance to reproduce. Most of the time this wont really do much besides make it take longer to beat levels, but sometimes it can lead to them all dying over and over.

3.22 :
- Added - Ability to change fallback length
    - This is to allow users to work around a suspected cause of the wrong_reproduce bug, until it is fixed.

3.3 :
- Added - Many settings accessible from pause menu on title screen. See [COMMAND REFRENCE] Above for more info.

3.31 :
- Changed - Each instance may only pick one coin up per generation
- Changed - Coins no longer despawn on collect
    - These two fixes are to make sure that instances dont mess things up and devalue other, better instances.

3.4 :
- Added - Ability to disable FLIP() call every frame
    - Note that this causes a lot of flickering and breaks the pause menu.
- Removed - FREEZE function. Removed so that the whole cart will not freeze when an instance opens the big chest containing the gem.

3.41 :
- Fixed - Timer silliness when FLIP() is disabled.

3.5 :
- Changed - Fallback system only happens if all instances die in a run
- Changed - Fallback duration is now no longer dynamic
P#147618 2024-04-30 02:43 ( Edited 2024-05-19 18:57)

Cart #gb_waves-1 | 2024-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#147613 2024-04-30 01:28 ( Edited 2024-04-30 01:29)

Cart #tid_p8-0 | 2024-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Welcome to the dungeon,

The goal: Survive as long as you can.

Dev Notes:
It should be known that right now it’s only one level.
Mostly as a test bed before I wrap it all together with level generation.

There are bugs I am working out but the next up will be figuring out how to generate floors and so on.

Thanks for checking it out <3

P#147592 2024-04-29 20:39
View Older Posts